Pages

Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 12, 2010

TGIF- Part Deux

Ok, supper is over. We had eggplant parmesan-very,very good. Currently 17 people staYING HERE IN QUARTERS. PRETTY BUSY FOR THE COOKS AND OTHERS WHO MAKE IT WORK.

Anyway to finish up on Charlote from previous post it went pretty well. Never did get to any adults but we billed ourselves in advance as wanting to see the kids so all went well as far as I was concerned.

Remember the story from Sunday the 7th of march about the little dude Stanley who managed to make his rectum go inside out. Got a call while I was at Charlote that he had done it again twice and they had managed to push it back in. I recommended that if they push it back in successfully to tape his butt cheeks together for about 4-6 hours aND LET HIM PLAY. They thought that was a rather odd recommendation but did it anyway-it worked. Not my idea. I read it on the internet when I read about his problem several days before. So new thought: instead of using a cork for certain GI problems just duct tape their butt cheeks together. Sounds like a Kodak moment to me.

Today's clinic was interesting, busy day. This PM into clinic walks young Stanley without his duct tape on and he was the staR OF THE CLINIC AND DOING FINE.

I HAVE GOTTEN TO KNOW A LITTLE BETTER a local doc who works here 3 days a week. We have spent a lot of time discussing interesting cases. He is trained in Haiti and their medical school standards are not quite up to snuff compared to US standards,
But he asks a lot of questions and seems eager to learn about stuff-mostly kids, so far. All in all I really think it is a benefit to have him here.

There is also a young man around who is trying for medical school slot in 2011 at home. Unfortunately there haven't been many docs for him to spend time with except me and I think I HAVE MADE HIM JUST AS JADED AS I AM by this time but we have seen a lot of interesting stuff here.

If I could sum up my time here so far I would have to say that 95% of the problems are related to MALNUTRITION. This was not a real important topic when I did medical school training during the previous century but it sure is currently in Haiti as it has been for a long time.

I have some sneezing and nose blowing to do so have a happy Friday evening.

Bye.... love....jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment