Pages

Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

If it's Tuesday, this must be Haiti!!!!!


Happy Tuesday people.

Very busy past few days in clinic. Kids remain the stars and I am getting used to seeing adults. Didn't say I liked it....said I was getting used to it. Some folks are down here with lots of vaccines , so they set up a separate area for giving them to kids. Working on the most recent 100 kids(since the EQ). They are using and old school bus for running the kids through a gauntlet of Quick exams, oral HIV test, TB skin tests. and DPT immunizations. Kids are not happy campers by the time they get off the bus, but that's life in Haiti. Some have never experienced the pointed end of a needle before...... New Beginnings !!!

Clinic issues continue around poor nutrition and associated problems as well as infectious diseases and skin problems. Lots of people displaced from Port au Prince but no orthopedic issues are showing up here. There are still ortho teams on the ground for these problems. they will require lots of solutions in the future...

Past few days very humid and still. We could use some rain but the folks in tent cities don't really need this right now.

Ending up my stay at end of week and must admit the month has gone by very quickly. Don't want to leave but need to go home and make some snow angels before it all goes away. Also have granddaughter #1-Miss Lilah- birthday in April to be home for.

Gave a short talk to the clinic nurses after clinic today about malnutrition. It was good. I learned more about Haitian breastfeeding habits etc...than I knew about previously. The nurses were polite and clapped at the end and asked me to do another one on Thursday. This talk was translated from English to Kreole by Dr. Jacob so he could have been making fum about me the whole time and I wouldn't know the difference.

Oh well....LIFE IS GOOD.... bye ... jerry

1 comment:

  1. Hi dad! I can't believe how fast your trip went! This blog rocks b/c if I needed a dose of dad, I can get it! It's been great hearing the day-to-day stuff. Are you planning a return trip? Can I go with you? ;)
    Looking fwd to hearing your voice in a few days!! Even more excited to see you in April!!!

    much love,
    Pence, Chad, and Lilah

    ps- did you ever see the pics I sent to your gci acct? It was a dose of Lilah!!!

    ReplyDelete